Friday, May 10, 2013

Telecasters...

 I've owned teles before, and never really bonded with any of them. I realized that I'd traded one with a maple neck years ago to pay for groceries or some stupid thing and always wanted it back. So I loaded up the car with stuff to trade and headed to the local shop. They had this maple-necked beauty. I was looking for a classic tele, or maybe a thinline, but they didn't have anything like that, so I sprung for this Modern Player version. Wasn't crazy about the humbucker at the bridge (humbuckers on a tele? Come on), but it was in my price range. Then I got home, set it up, and enjoyed myself.

Later that day, this tele comes up on CL--from the same shop, no less:
I traded the Modern player in for this Nashville tele. Very close to a traditional setup, but the middle strat pickup gives me some options. Also, this came in used, so I got more bang for my buck. I think the Modern player was $400, this was $369. The shop also posted a DD-5, so I traded my guitar for a better guitar and a delay pedal. It was a good day.

As for this lovely creature--plays great, sounds excellent, and looks magnificent. Matches my bass, too. I really like the brightness of the maple neck, and the tones that are possible with the 5-way selector make this a lot of fun to play. The big issue is noise, as the bridge is insanely microphonic. Need to get some shielding in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment