Saturday, June 8, 2013

Digitech Synth Wah


Digitech seems to be pretty hit-or-miss. Every once in a while, they have a great idea (Whammy, Timebender, Space Station), but mostly--since the days when they were DOD--they seem to provide pretty respectable knock-offs of better known pedals. For pretty much every Boss pedals that sells well, you can find a Digitech pedal that's not quite as good, but a little cheaper. They seem to be turning away from this practice, but this Synth Wah does not typify that move.

For me, it's kind of a toy. As much as I like unusual effects, this pedal gives the sense of the kind of laser gun stuff that turns people off from synth effects. I like 'em big and beefy with lots of bass, maybe octave voices, and controllable filter sweeps. This pedal doesn't track well on my guitars, and the controls feel difficult enough for me to have gotten rid of this. I picked it up in a trade (in the name of science!) and never found any real use for it. When I think synth, I think Moog--big, analog monsters that are really complicated with lots of dials and a sound that shakes the walls. This pedal imagines synths as novelty settings on a keyboard. Bummer!

No comments:

Post a Comment