Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Electro-Harmonix Micro Synth



What a cool pedal! I'm very happy with the stuff I have on my board right now, but this thing--despite its ridiculous size and persnickety power requirements--is a very unique, funky and fun piece of gear. 

Its technology owes less to actual synthesis and more to octave generators and a kind of square-wave distortion. The filter is more of an envelope-style phaser. When these three elements interact, the result is a potent sound--if not altogether reminiscent of a synthesizer. There's nothing else quite like it. 

This is one of those pedals that made me realize the analog "mojo," collectibility, and rarity do not mean that something is going to work in my setup. There came a time when I realized that I needed to start painting in primary colors rather than to try and collect every obscure shade under the sun. So, while my pedalboard is still laughably (to some) oversized and very complicated, it is comprised of stuff that functions as part of a whole unit rather than as atomized bits of wierdness. And the Micro Synth--to me, anyway--is not a primary color.

I've found that most of what I used this for is covered in the much smaller footprint of the EarthQuaker Devices Bit Commander. It's missing the filter sweep, but I get that from other pedals that have more control. Still, it's an EHX classic in its quirkiness, design, and sound.








No comments:

Post a Comment