Saturday, November 3, 2012

Frankenstrat


This has been my main guitar for a couple years now. I like the playability of strats--the contoured body, the fast necks, the relatively light weight. As far as build, this thing stays in tune and feel solid as a rock.

Having said all that, I have no idea where this thing comes from. I traded some guy in Detroit an old Peavey amp for this guitar. I believe it has a Fender tele neck, but the body is made from bits of a bunch of different guitars' parts. The guy who gave it to me had done some work as a luthier, so it's set up really well. The action is great, and he put the pickguard together himself. It has a knurled edge that he used some kind of router on, so there are pieces of this that are pretty unusual.

I'm pretty sure at this point that I prefer single coils. This can be a noisy guitar under the wrong circumstances, and a guitar with humbuckers would help, but I just feel like it sounds less guitar-y. I've had semi-hollow body humbucking guitars, Strats, Les Pauls, and a whole variety of other Frankensteinish things, but this one has proven to be the most versatile. When my wife and I moved from Detroit to Buffalo a few years ago and couldn't afford groceries, I had a fire sale for gear. This one survived.

No comments:

Post a Comment