Saturday, November 3, 2012

Morley Dual Bass Wah


I've wrestled with wah pedals for a long time. I've owned Dunlop crybabys, tried some of the other offerings (Vox, Digitech), but they don't give me what I'm looking for. Had this thing forever, and never found another pedal I like better.

The cool thing about this pedal is that it is...a bass wah! That seems a little strange, and yes, it doesn't really respond to higher frequency sweeps, but it does give me this synth filter sweep that eats up my whole signal. It isn't good for Voodoo Chile, in other words, or typical guitar sounds. If you're looking to have a giant phaser with an expression pedal that sounds a kinda like a wah pedal, this might be your ticket.

The drawback is that this pedal weighs about 5 pounds and eats up a ton of pedal board real estate.The plus is that it is optical, so there are no pots to get scratchy or wear out, and has a quality buffer near the start of my signal chain. My main requirement, though, is that there's no mash-down switch like in all the crybabys. I hate that switch, as you're never sure whether or not you've actually turned the thing off until you start to play again and hear that nasally fixed-wah sound still going. With the Morley, it has a spring under the treadle, so you just step on it, and it's on. You step off, it's disengaged. Lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment